Tuesday, January 29, 2008

About Original Sin

I watched an AIC video on the Holy Spirit from Messiah Lutheran (Seattle) today. One of the concepts that was discussed is original sin. I haven't thought much about original sin until the last few years when I started having faith conversations with my Christian friends.

I have always believed that I was saved BY God through the Holy Spirit at my baptism (as an infant) and I remember my baptism daily as I am both a saint and a sinner. Some of my Christian friends believe that you have to make a decision for Christ. That's where the concept of original sin becomes important.

From the Article II of the Augsburg Confession:

1] Also they teach that since the fall of Adam all men begotten in the natural way are born with sin, that is, without the fear of God, without trust in God, and with 2] concupiscence; and that this disease, or vice of origin, is truly sin, even now condemning and bringing eternal death upon those not born again through Baptism and the Holy Ghost.

3] They condemn the Pelagians and others who deny that original depravity is sin, and who, to obscure the glory of Christ's merit and benefits, argue that man can be justified before God by his own strength and reason.

What or who are the Pelagians?
(from http://www.issuesetc.org/resource/journals/diction.htm)

Pelagianism
The fifth century heresy of Pelagius who taught that man is not totally corrupt and can be saved by an act of his own will (see "Arminianism," "Revivalism," "Total Depravity").

Original sin in the Bible:

Romans 5:12-21 (New International Version)

Death Through Adam, Life Through Christ

12Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned— 13for before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law. 14Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who was a pattern of the one to come.

15But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God's grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many! 16Again, the gift of God is not like the result of the one man's sin: The judgment followed one sin and brought condemnation, but the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification. 17For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ.

18Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men. 19For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

20The law was added so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, 21so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 Corinthians 5:22

22For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.


My understanding is that I am spiritually dead, beginning at conception -- thanks to Adam and Eve. Just like a physically dead person can't bring themselves to life, I can't bring myself to life spiritually, but the Holy Spirit can. And the Holy Spirit creates faith, bringing me to new life (that is forgiveness of sins) through some kind of means. For me, the means initially was baptism. Then throughout the rest of my life my faith (believing that Christ died on the cross for my sins) is strengthened by the Holy Spirit through the Word and the Lord's Supper.

Here's my confusion with some of my Christian friends:

I can't figure out how a spiritually dead person can bring themselves to life. All the glory belongs to the Godhead and taking credit in any way for one's salvation seems to be an insult to what Christ did on the cross. I'm not known for being gentle with words at times and I can't figure out a loving and gentle way to ask about how it can be.