Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Christmas Nails

Last year I made Christmas Nails for friends and family. I am making Christmas Nails again this year because there are more people I want to give to. The reason for Christmas is Jesus. The Christmas Nail is a vivid reminder of what God's Gift to man really was and it. I saw a similar ornament, but decided it would be more meaningful if I created my own. So I brought large spikes at the hardware stores for about 15¢ each and tied a small message with a red ribbon on each spike. The Christmas Nail is designed to sit quietly in the tree as a reminder. It would something you could leave out year round as a powerful reminder.

This is the poem that I"ve seen on commerical Christmas Nails:

The Christmas Nail Poem
This is the Christmas Nail.
It is to be hung on a sturdy branch,
a branch near the trunk,
a branch that will hold such a spike
without being noticed by well-wishers dropping
by to admire one’s tinseled tree.
The nail is known only to the home that hangs it.
Understood only by the heart that knows its significance.
It is hung with the thought...
that the Christmas tree
but foreshadows the Christ-tree which only He could
decorate for us, ornamented with nails as this.