Saturday, December 2, 2006

Keeping the Focus

The Christmas season is here. We've decorated the house. The Advent Calendar is on the wall. Advent is a time to prepare our hearts for Christmas. As a Lutheran I have always loved Advent. There are so many wonderful traditions. As I taught the 5/6 year olds at our homeschool co-op I discovered that most of the children don't celebrate Advent. Many of the children belong to non-denominational churches who don't celebrate Advent. I feel very blessed to have Advent as part of my faith tradition and I love passing it on.

We have a wooden Advent calendar. At the top is the Nativity scene and on the bottom are small doors with wooden ornaments inside. Each day Alex opens a door and places an ornament in the Nativity scene. We start on December 1st even though Advent starts tomorrow -- 4th Sunday before Christmas. The ornament is a star.