Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Lifelight -- Timothy, Titus and Philemon

I have started my second Lifelight Study. We are studying Timothy, Titus and Philemon. This study is a bit easier than the Revelation Study and very practical as we are joining a new church this Sunday.

The first lesson dealt with the first chapter of 1 Timothy. This chapter warns against false doctrine. False doctrine abounds in the world and often it is rather covert.

What comes to mind for me is the teaching that a person must contribute to their salvation by making a decision. That is taught in a multitude of churches -- mainline and non-denominational.

I have a series of Adult Information Class DVDs from Messiah Lutheran in Seattle. One of the sessions, on justification (I think) used a great illustration. Can a physically dead man on the ground order a Starbucks latte? NOPE! Can a spiritually dead man save himself? NOPE! I can't --- only God can do that through the work of the Holy Spirit.