Sunday, March 16, 2008

Our New Church Home

We were privileged today to officially join our new Lutheran church. We are members of Our Shepherd Lutheran in Birmingham.

We have been attending a class for the last 7 weeks which helped us to know what kinds of opportunities are available. Since we were transferring from another LCMS church we didn't attend the Living Discipleship class which explores Lutheran theology. However I plan to attend it later this spring. I didn't pay attention to confirmation as a teenager many decades ago.

We were warmly welcomed today both in the service and at a potluck afterwards. Today was also first communion for the 8th graders so there were many people at the 11:00 service. Since tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day, the theme of the potluck was green. Alex was one of the winners in the icebreaker and received a large chocolate bunny -- that thrilled him. And we came home with a shamrock plant and a beautiful bouquet of spring flowers.

I am in awe of our Lord Jesus Christ as I reflect on the various church stops I have made in my life. I grew up basically in one church (starting at age 8 -- can't remember much before then) and then got married and moved away to South Dakota. I found a church home there.

But I took a detour and ended up back in Michigan as a single mom with a 7 year old. I returned to the church I grew up in and met my second (and last) husband. We adopted our son and began to feel a need to make a church change.

So with fear and trepidation we did. In fact we jumped synods, moved across town and joined a very large church. That created tension in my family as I left the 'family' church. We changed worship style -- contemporary, praise and worship. And we grew tremendously in that church.

After several years of homeschooling Alex returned to school -- a Lutheran school. That gave us re-exposure to traditional Lutheran (liturgy) and a desire to return back to liturgy grew. We couldn't return to the church that I grew up in as I now have doctrinal concerns, plus it made sense to be at the church that is associated with Alex's school.

So we joyful continue on our faith journey as we head towards eternity and that face to face meeting with Jesus.