Friday, November 16, 2007

AWE

My pastor preached a message at church last weekend that resonated with me in a profound way. The message was based on Acts 2:42-47.
The Fellowship of the Believers
They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

The title of his message was " Awe." Pastor's message talked about what often happens in church and described it as being WOW. That's not Women of Wittenberg, but rather WOW as in the music was great or the pastor had a good message or I really got something out the service. He described WOW as entertain me; give me what I want; make it big; MAN-ufacture it; something's going on around me; and we add.

He contrasted that with AWE. AWE means change me (redemption); give me what I need; GOD-breathed; something's happening TO and IN me; God adds.

Which brings me to The Fire and the Staff, Lutheran Theology in Practice. (http://www.cph.org/cphstore/product.asp?part_no=155060).


For the last 3 months I have been thinking about buying this book, but hesitated as it didn't fit into the budget. But today I got it. I spent 2 hours sipping coffee at the local Panera's as I skimmed through the book. It dealt directly with the issue at hand for me -- WOW vs AWE.

I love to read about theology (new development in the last few years) and Pastor Preus says I am a theologian because I am reading this 350+ page book on theology. In the beginning of the book is a short story about an old Norwegian woman (that could be me!) who loves to read her Bible and study books on Lutheran theology. She was asked why she does this and her reply was "Lebre er Liv" which means "Doctrine is life."