Friday, November 9, 2007

Worship

What is Worship?

I have attended church for as long as I can remember. I always went and it didn't feel right if Sunday morning didn't include church. I maintain that even more strongly today. For a variety of reasons I am on a quest to better understand what worship is. Since Lutheran is my church of choice, it is Lutheran worship I read about.

Worship is not as the dictionary defines it. For many worship means coming together with other Christians to sing praises to God and thank him for what He has done in our lives. In other words it's in one direction and that is the worshiper gives to God. There are numerous verses in the Bible which talk about our responding to God with praises, but that's not the primary 'thing' that occurs when you come to worship in a Lutheran church.

Worship in a Lutheran church is God GIVING the gift of forgiveness of sins and eternal life through the means He has set up. The means are Word and Sacrament. Within the worship service, called the Divine Service in some Lutheran congregations, are many places where God GIVES. And there is a place for the children of God to respond with thanks and praise.

Here's a wonderful 2 hour interview about The Myths of Worship: