Thursday, November 22, 2007

Believing God -- Reflections

Beth Moore Bible studies are very popular at many churches. In fact in past years I did some of her studies. She is a very engaging presenter and touches the hearts of many women. I think that is why she is so popular at churches , even Lutheran churches.

However for a Lutheran her theology is 180 degrees in the opposite direction. It's subtle. I did the study Believing God about 3 or 4 years ago and even wore the blue wristband for the entire study. This morning I went back to look through the study and in particular to note what I had highlighted. I was surprised at what I read:

From the workbook Believing God

Page 10:

"This faith-action refers to the exercise of belief that leads to salvation. Every Christian heard the Gospel message at some point and chose to believe and receive it. Because we exercised this faith-action, we immediately became Christ's" [Jesus saves objectively and it's outside of me.]

"Our glorious faith walk began with an act of faith that brought us into relationship with Jesus Christ as our Savior, but it doesn't end there." [The Holy Spirit creates faith, not me.]

Page 18:

"That means the more we believe God, the more we are likely to see and experience His intervening power." [Justification is instanteous and I am a sinner and saint at the same time. Daily I remember my baptism when the Holy Spirit created faith and washed me white as snow. ]

Page 19:

"Faith is the primary means by which we place our hand in the outstretched hand of God and join Him." [God reaches out and grabs me.]
Page 41:

"Without a doubt, the foremost fundamental of faith is believing that God is who He says He is. It is foundational to all other areas of faith." [The fundamental truth is that God sent His Son, Jesus Christ to died on the cross for my sins and then He rose to defeat death so that I can have eternal life in heaven with the Father.]

Page 75:

"Faith means believing that blessing never fails to follow obedience, no matter the sacrifice." [Really????]

Page 116:

"Scripture tells us if Christ's words dwell in us, we can use our mouths to speak or pray over situations, and the Holy Spirit will often bring powerful results." [Christ is in me and you can't split the Trinity as this implies. Is this implying that my words have power or that there is a Wordless Spirit?]